View of the Moscow governor-general house, a lithograph of L.J.Arnu
(middle of the 19th century).
The house was built in 1782 by the architect M.Kazakov as a 3-storey palace for the Moscow governor-general. In the 1930s, when Tverskaya was reconstructed in order to straighten the street and make it wider, the building was moved 13.5 m (42 feet) backward from the roadway. The preparation for the shifting had lasted for several months but the movement itself took just 40 minutes. Then in 1946 the building was altered significantly and an extra two upper storeys were added by the architect D.Chechykin. Nowadays the building houses the City Hall.
Tverskaya square in 2012.
There existed another equestrian monument on this place. It was the statue to an outstanding Russian commander, general M.Skobelev, erected in 1912 and destroyed in 1918.