7 tips for visitors to the Kremlin

by Olga on April 7, 2012

Independent travelers sometimes complain that it is difficult to find the entrance to the Kremlin museums. It’s quite easy.

Kutafya tower, KremlinThe main entrance is through the Kutafya tower.

1. First of all, please, do not try to enter the Kremlin from Red square. It is useless and even unsafe if you insist.

2. Look at the map. There are two entrances for us (shown by red arrows), both are located on the side of Alexandrovsky gardens (Alexandrovsky Sad in Russian). The main one is through the Kutafya tower (1). To visit the Armoury chamber and the Diamond Fund go to the end of the Gardens along the Kremlin wall to the Borovitskaya Tower (2).

Kremlin ticket offices

3. Ticket offices are in the Alexandrovsky Gardens as well (blue arrows). There you can buy tickets for the Kremlin, cathedrals, and the Armoury.

Kremlin ticket booths

4. To buy the tickets to the Diamond Fund you do not need any additional admission ticket. Go straight to the Borovitskaya Tower, then along the building of the Armoury (21), and finally you will find the desired door with a soldier. Tickets are sold in a lobby of the Diamond Fund.

Kremlin entrance
Green arrow shows an exit from an underpass to the Alexandrovsky Garden, ticket booths, and the Kutafya Tower.

5. Arrive early to escape queuing.

6. BTW, the cheapest tickets are to the exhibitions held in the Patriarch’s Palace and Ivan the Great Bell Tower. Once purchased, these tickets give you the opportunity to see the grounds.

7. Do not forget the Kremlin is closed on Thursday.

Related Posts:

{ 31 comments… read them below or add one }

Angelica September 29, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Hello
I am planning my holidays in December . It will be one week staying in Moscow and St Petersburg. I am looking to buy anything like a mobile internet card to use with my mobile phone. Do you know of a card like that? I am not interested in making call, I just want to have internet access at all times in my mobile.

Thanks for your help!

Olga September 29, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Angelica, I use mobile Internet of MTS, that’s why I can’t say anything about other operators.

check MTS-Connect 4

mayur shah October 5, 2013 at 1:43 am

Very useful information.
We are two (Hus & wife) senior citizens from India.
My interest is photography, travelling and heritage paintings.
We are visiting Moscow from Oct 18th to Oct. 21st 3 nights- 4 days.
I am interested in photography of art work of 5 cathedrals of Kremlin.
Pl. guide me,
1) Is photography allowed?…on the site, it is written that amature photography is prohibited…than how can I qualify for professional photography?…
2) Do they charge seperate fee for photography? if yes! how much?
3) I am visiting Kremlin on Saturday to see parade by guards..Does vediography allowed?
4) Same way, I want to photograph art heritage of Basilica and Cathedral of Savior and Novodity convent….is it allowed?
I will appreciate your guidance.
Thanks.
Mayur Shah

Olga October 5, 2013 at 9:38 am

Mayur ,
1) 2) On the territory of the Kremlin photos are allowed with the exception of advertising or other media products creation, inside the cathedrals photo is not permitted. I am sorry I have no info concerning a professional photography in the Kremlin cathedrals. Please, try to write to International department of the Kremlin e-mail: interdep@kremlin.museum.ru or use a contact form of a museum Guestbook http://www.kreml.ru/en/guestbook/
3) Video is allowed.
4) Photos are not permitted at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior .
There is a separate charge for the photo ticket at the St Basil cathedral and Novodevichy convent.

Linda McCarthy March 8, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Olga,
Is the Diamond Fund closed on Thursday like The Kremlin?
Is the Diamond Fund available to visitors as individuals, or must we be part of a private tour with advanced reservations? We are coming from Califonia and I don’t want to miss this site because I didn’t plan well.
Thank you!
Linda

Olga March 9, 2014 at 7:41 am

Linda, the Diamond Fund is closed on Turthday.
You can visit it by yourself without any group.

Van March 26, 2014 at 8:25 am

Hi Olga,
I read so many comments about “waiting and no more ticket available” while buying Armoury Chamber tix at tix office. Also, I found that we can buy it online on website of Kremlinhttp://www.kreml.ru. Do you think it is worth to buy it in advance online? Also for architectural complex of the Cathedral Square ? Please advise if I should buy online to avoid “waiting and not more tix available”? Also, please help to advise the best order to visit. I assume if I get the first timing for Amoury Chamber (10;00), I will go to it rightaway, spend 1.5 hours visit, then back for Archtiectural Complex? Also, with this one (350R/person), I cannot go inside any church for visit?
With thanks for your kind help.

Olga March 26, 2014 at 8:56 am

Hi,Van. I believe it’s a good idea to buy tix in advance on-line. You can start from the Armoury and in this case you will not be limited in time on the territory. All the cathedrals are included in the ticket to the Architectural Ansamble (350rub).
Have a good time in Moscow!

Van March 26, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Thank you a lot Olga. Then I would book Armoury Chamber at 10:00. In early April, do you think a Sunday will be crowded? With online ticket, it is said that I still have to queue at tix office to exchange the voucher and get ticket. Then I need to be there early too, right? One more question, I will enter by entrance 2 for the Armoury Chamber, then I have to come out, go to entrance 1 from outside for Ground and Cathedrals or there is away inside right from the Armoury to the cathedrals? (#23,24, 25,26,27… On your above plan?. And if I buy a ticket for Diamond Fund (inside the Armoury Chamber), I will visit it right after the Armoury Chamber and next to Ground and Cathedrals? Thanks for your kind help, so that we can do it right.

Hendrik Jordaan April 23, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Hi Olga,

Is it allowed to visit the Kremlin by Bike?

Olga April 23, 2014 at 5:53 pm

No, Hendrik.
Bikes and pets are not allowed. 🙂

Hendrik Jordaan May 15, 2014 at 6:46 am

Hello Olga,
We tried to book the tickets,but we did not manage. After first page with email and” Order” ,we directly had 30 minutes to fill in the second page.

? Category/place Price zone Price, rub Quant Amount, rub
Ticket for visiting the architectural complex of the Cathedral Square
1 Electronic tickets For one person 350,00 2 700,00
Total: 700,00
Until the end of the order confirmation is left:
00:24:47
This information is required to process, book and complete your reservation (including the sending of a confirmation email of the booking to you).
Security code sent to your specified email. mail
Recipient`s Name example: Ivan Ivanov
Phone number phone format +7(911)999-99-99

In the meantime we did not receive a mail for the security code and we can’t fill in a phonenumber in the format requested.

Can you help us out?

With kind regards,

Hendrik Jordaan

Olga May 16, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Sorry, Hendrik.
I can not help if the system does not work.
Just try again.
Good luck!
Olga

Diane June 19, 2014 at 9:21 pm

We are a family of 7 adults visiting moscow for 3 days in August. We arrive the evening of August 3. August 4 we have a City Tour with a guide who is not an official Kremlin guide.
We were going to visit the kremlin museum on August 5, a Tuesday, but not 100% certain. Do I need to book tickets on line ahead of our arrival?I assume they are not changeable? If I book the 10AM Armory tickets online ahead of time, are they emailed to me? Are these 700 rubles?When would we need to be at the Armory considering queues? The architectural Complex tickets? do these include all the cathedrals?Is this the next best ticket to book and should we book that online and what time? You mentioned booking a bell tower ticket as it gets you into all the courtyards and gardens? Please advise and thanks!

Olga June 21, 2014 at 4:25 pm

The architectural complex ticket (350 rubles) includes all the cathedrals and gardens. Actually, it is the main ticket to visit the Kremlin.
The ticket to the Armoury costs 700 rubles. It is better to book it on line because in summer time tickets to the Armoury are not always available, anyhow there will be queue for tickets.
The purchased tickets are changeable, but the procedure is too complicated by lots of rules, I don’t recommend you to check it.
If to book the 10:00 AM Armoury, it would be good to come to the Borovitskaya tower at 9.30-9.45.
Get your tickets on the day of your visit in the Kremlin ticket offices ?12 and 13 in Alexander garden (don’t forget your electronic check or the order number). They ask to come not later than 45 minutes before the Armoury session, but the ticket office starts to work at 9:30 AM.

George Brody August 4, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Hello Olga:
Thank you for your excellent information. Question: Where do I find the description of the locations designated 1 through 47 on your map above?
Regards,
George Brody

Olga August 4, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Hello George! Check the official site of the Kremlin museums: http://www.kreml.ru/en/

Biggi February 8, 2015 at 9:04 pm

well I would like to know what Kind of ticket I should get: to see the Waffenkammer and the churches and all the main sights ??For the diamont I understood I have to buy a Special ticket, which I could not order inadvance ??!
thanks a lot

Olga February 9, 2015 at 7:03 am

Hi, Biggi!
So, all in all you need 3 tickets: one for the churches and graunds, one for the Armoury, and one more for the Diamond Fund. The first two you can buy online.

denis July 22, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Any idea if the entrance is free for students? I heard from free tour.I’m a student studying in Moscow. Is there any chances to get free entrance or for cheaper price?your reply is very much appreciated. Thank you

Olga July 22, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Denis, the entrance is free only for those who are under the age of 16. Additional discounts available for Russian students. They get free of charge tickets for the grounds, 50% discount for visiting the complex of the Cathedral Square (250 rub), tickets for the Armoury cost for them 300 rub.

Oriana Sardella July 31, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Hallo,
we have a stopover in Moscow the 6th august 2015. We have the visa on the passport done, so we are planning to visit the city. The problem is that the 6th august is Thursday. Could you please tell me if it is possibile just to see the interior walls of the Kremlin? Or we must stay outside? Thank you.

Olga August 1, 2015 at 8:21 pm

On Thursday the Kremlin is closed. You can visit Red square and walk
around the Kremlin walls.

Carmen August 6, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Hello Olga,
do you know how long the ticket offices are open? Can I buy tickets in the evening for the next day? We come with two children (on August 9), so online tickets are not possible and we have to queue in any case, right? How long will we need to queue if we get to the Kreml at about 9 am?
Thank you for your answer!

Olga August 7, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Hello Carmen! No, you can not buy tickets the day before your visit, but I suppose it will not take much time if you come at 9 am.

MERCEDES October 11, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Can I buy tikets to the two entrances for the Kremilin.. churches and Armory..for the 30 of
Oct. 15.. we would like to go.. what do you advise where to go first,, churches or armory,, how long it takes in each place

Olga October 12, 2015 at 6:51 pm

You not only can, but must purchase separate tickets to the territory and the Armory chamber. I usually prefer to start from the grounds and cathedrals, and then continue the tour in the Armory. With a guide each of two tours takes about 1.5 hours. In your case time will depend on you.

Jan April 1, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Dear Olga,
I wish to purchase 14 adults’ tickets for the architectural complex for July 3rd. Apparently, I cannot select these dates, because it is perhaps too much in advance. How much in advance could I order tickets? Is it anyhow worthwhile buying tickets in advance to avoid queuing?
Thank you!

Olga April 2, 2016 at 11:27 am

Dear Jan,
1. It is too early to order! You can purchase the tickets in advance but just two weeks before the visit and there are up to 4 tickets available for purchasing within one single order.
2. It depends on how much you are afraid of queuing. I am sure in July you will see the queue.

Yueteng April 3, 2016 at 10:57 am

?????? ?????!

Thanks for your tireless reply of the queries. It has helped many people and is a sure way of promoting the Kremlin!

We would like to visit the Kremlin Wall Necropolis. How do we access it? We would like to visit the tomb-plaques of some of the greatest Russians who lived!

Olga April 3, 2016 at 8:13 pm

To visit Necropolis first you should go to Lenin mausoleum. On exiting the mausoleum visitors pass the cemetery at the Kremlin wall. Entrance to the Lenin’s tomb and Necropolis is free of charge. Line up at the western corner of Red square near the entrance to Alexander Garden. Be ready to wait in line for 15 – 30 min. Opening hours: daily from 10.00 to 13.00, closed on Mondays and Fridays. Big bags and electronic devices are not allowed. Photos and videos are prohibited.