The egg “Memory of Azov” is the only one in the collection of the Moscow Kremlin Museums, commissioned by Emperor Alexander III. It was presented to his wife, Maria Fyodorovna, on Easter in 1891 and dedicated to the journey of Tsarevich Nicholas and his brother George to the East aboard the cruiser “Memory of Azov” (Pamiat Azova). The itinerary included Greece, Egypt, India, China, and Japan. The Easter egg is made of heliotrope (a kind of jasper) and decorated with gold and diamonds in the rococo style. The surprise within is a miniature gold and platinum replica of the Imperial cruiser, fixed on a piece of aquamarine representing the water.
The church of the Intercession of the Virgin at Fili, a lithograph of the early 19th century.
The Church of the Intercession of the Virgin at Fili is located at Novozavodskaya Street. Fili metro station is a short walk, not more than 200m. The church was built between 1689 and 1693 by a boyar Naryshkin, the uncle of Peter the Great. Actually it consists of two churches, a winter one in the basement and a summer church above it, which was never heated. The new architectural style was formed at the end of the XVII century in Moscow. It is known as the Naryshkin Baroque and is also called Moscow Baroque style.
The exhibition of Konstantin Korovin (1861-1939), Russian Impressionist painter, dedicated to his 150th birth anniversary is open till August, 12 at the Tretyakov Gallery on Krymsky Val, 10. The last exhibition like this took place in Moscow in 1922.
Konstantin Korovin. Gurzuf, 1914
The Tsar Nicholas II presented this Easter egg to his wife Alexandra Fyodorovna in 1908. It was made of Sayan jade and decorated with miniature watercolor portraits of the tsar’s daughters and Tsarevich Alexei. Portraits frames and the first letters of the names over them were lined with diamonds. The surprise inside was the exact gold model of the Alexander Palace with rock crystal windows and a roof of green enamel. Originally this country residence was built by order of Catherine II as a wedding gift to her beloved grandson, Alexander. In the reign of Nicholas II the royal family mostly lived in Tsarskoye Selo at this palace. Jade was considered a symbol of love, hope, and happiness.
The Armoury Chamber collection, Moscow
Independent travelers sometimes complain that it is difficult to find the entrance to the Kremlin museums. It’s quite easy.
The main entrance is through the Kutafya tower.
1. First of all, please, do not try to enter the Kremlin from Red square. It is useless and even unsafe if you insist.
2. Look at the map. There are two entrances for us (shown by red arrows), both are located on the side of Alexandrovsky gardens (Alexandrovsky Sad in Russian). The main one is through the Kutafya tower (1). To visit the Armoury chamber and the Diamond Fund go to the end of the Gardens along the Kremlin wall to the Borovitskaya Tower (2).
Ostankino in the XIXth century.
Ostankino in 2011
The Caravaggio exhibition at the Pushkin Fine Arts Museum runs until February 19, 2012.
If you want to escape long queueing and freezing come at 10am.
An exhibition dedicated to the 120th anniversary of one of the most famous Soviet architects Boris Iofan at the Schusev State Museum of Architecture, Vozdvizhenka St., 5 (M. Biblioteka imeni Lenina, Alexandrovsky sad, Arbatskaya) will be opened until February 26, 2012.
Boris Iofan is mainly known as an author of the “House on the Embankment” and the Soviet Pavilion with a sculpture of the “Worker and Collective Farm Girl” by V. Mukhina created for the World’s Fair of 1937. Although never realized, the ambitious Palace of Soviets, became the project of his life. For me, the initial project of Moscow State University and those interior designs for the Palace of Soviets halls looking like Pantheon or a Christian church proved to be particularly interesting.
,, Read more
The exhibition “Poiret – King of Fashion” will be open in the Moscow Kremlin till January, 12, 2012.
Year of Spain in Russia. Salvador Dalí retrospective will be held at the State Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts from 3 September until 13 November 2011. The exhibition repesents 25 oil paintings, 20 watercolours, 70 drawings, and many photographs from the collection of Dalí Theatre and Museum in Figueres.