The egg “Memory of Azov” is the only one in the collection of the Moscow Kremlin Museums, commissioned by Emperor Alexander III. It was presented to his wife, Maria Fyodorovna, on Easter in 1891 and dedicated to the journey of Tsarevich Nicholas and his brother George to the East aboard the cruiser “Memory of Azov” (Pamiat Azova). The itinerary included Greece, Egypt, India, China, and Japan. The Easter egg is made of heliotrope (a kind of jasper) and decorated with gold and diamonds in the rococo style. The surprise within is a miniature gold and platinum replica of the Imperial cruiser, fixed on a piece of aquamarine representing the water.
The Tsar Nicholas II presented this Easter egg to his wife Alexandra Fyodorovna in 1908. It was made of Sayan jade and decorated with miniature watercolor portraits of the tsar’s daughters and Tsarevich Alexei. Portraits frames and the first letters of the names over them were lined with diamonds. The surprise inside was the exact gold model of the Alexander Palace with rock crystal windows and a roof of green enamel. Originally this country residence was built by order of Catherine II as a wedding gift to her beloved grandson, Alexander. In the reign of Nicholas II the royal family mostly lived in Tsarskoye Selo at this palace. Jade was considered a symbol of love, hope, and happiness.
The Armoury Chamber collection, Moscow