I’ve got a question:
- Olga, can you tell me how to walk from the Metro station to the observation platform?
It’s my pleasure to answer:
1. I recommend to leave subway station “Universitet” by escalator, which is close to the last carriage if you come from the city center.
2. Outside look around. You will find at some distance a spire of the main MSU building. It will help you to orient yourself.
3. Cross the road and go to the left along Lomonosovsky prospect as if to the main building (you can see the spire).
4. Turn right at the first crossing. Very soon the main building will be on your left, go forward, pass the building and turn left.
5. Now you are at the opposite side of the main MSU building. Turn right and keep going in this direction up to the observation platform. If you pass the fountain (does not work in winter ), you are on the right way.
We can see the Kremlin wall, the Moscow river, the Big Stone bridge, named after the first stone bridge in Moscow, and the Kremlin Water pump tower on the right.
Moving to the left are Christ the Savior Cathedral, the Church of Elijah the Prophet (1706), Moscow state university, 5-domed church of the Conception Convent, and so-called House on the embankment is seen on the left .
540 meters (1,772 feet) tall Ostankino TV tower was completed in 1967. In those days it was the tallest free-standing structure in the world. You can estimate the view and perspective from the height of 337 meters on its observation deck and get great shots from up there.
I invite you to get a panoramic view of Moscow from the observation platform located just in front of the Moscow university building. The view from Vorobyovy Gory (Sparrow Hills) is especially lovely at night.
Places I would like you to visit
“Whoever wants to understand Russia should come here and look down at Moscow…” A.Chekhov
In a day time good weather will provide you with the pictures of the Kremlin and Christ the Saviour cathedral, situated 12 km away. In fact it was Sparrow Hills where originally Christ the Saviour cathedral was planned to be build by the Emperor Alexander I.
Look at the university and try to find its 6 sisters – similar buildings of Stalin’s time. Some of them always try to vanish in the distance.
What else to search? The Sports complex is impossible to overlook. To the left will be the Novodevichy convent, to the right – headquarters of the Russian Academy of Sciences known as “Golden Brain” for its architectural appearance, a ski jump, double-decker metro bridge across the Moscow river, the river itself and a nice park for a work. It will take you not more than 15 minutes to get to the nearest metro station with the same name – Vorobyovy Gory (red line).