old times

Bloshinka. Retro-market.

by Olga on February 13, 2016

Bloshinka. Retro-market.
February 13 – 14, 2016, Cultural Centre DOM
Moscow, B. Ovchinnikovsky lane, 24, build. 4 (metro st. Novokuznetskaya)

{ 0 comments }

Maxim Vorobiev «View of Manege, Kutafya tower and St. Nicholas church in Sapozhki in Moscow», 1817.
M.N.Vorobiev1817 View of Manege, Kutafya tower, and the church of St. Nickolas in Moscow

Most tourists visiting the Kremlin enter it trough the Trinity (Troitskaya) tower. This is the tower with a bridge and outer barbican, known as Kutafya tower (a white one with a “crown” on its top). Left of it the watercolor by M.Vorobiev shows us just recently completed Manege building (1817). For its long history it was used for riding horses, as a government garage, and the main state exhibition hall. The church of St. Nicholas (1648) was demolished in 1838. A modern building behind the Kremlin wall, which obstructed the view of the Kremlin ensemble, was erected in 1961, under Nikita Khruschev, for Communist Party congresses.

The square in 2013.
10 years ago the monument to Alexander II flanked by two lions (standing today beside the cathedral of Christ the Savior) was planned to put up here. The idea did not come true.

Manege, Kutafya tower, Moscow

{ 0 comments }

Tverskaya square

by Olga on March 18, 2012

View of the Moscow governor-general house, a lithograph of L.J.Arnu

(middle of the 19th century).

View of the Moscow governor-general house, L.J.Arnu

The house was built in 1782 by the architect M.Kazakov as a 3-storey palace for the Moscow governor-general. In the 1930s, when Tverskaya was reconstructed in order to straighten the street and make it wider, the building was moved 13.5 m (42 feet) backward from the roadway. The preparation for the shifting had lasted for several months but the movement itself took just 40 minutes. Then in 1946 the building was altered significantly and an extra two upper storeys were added by the architect D.Chechykin. Nowadays the building houses the City Hall.

Read more

{ 2 comments }

Count Sheremetev country estate

by Olga on March 9, 2012

Ostankino in the XIXth century.

Ostankino

Ostankino in 2011

Ostankino 2011

{ 0 comments }

Aleksey Bogolyubov “View of Christ the Savior cathedral from Prechistenka street in Moscow”, 1880.
A. Bogolyubov

Christ the Savior cathedral is shown almost completed.
Behind the cathedral is the church of the Praise of the Mother of God and All the Saints (1694).
The cathedral was blown up in December of 1931.
The church was demolished in 1932.

{ 0 comments }

Morosov’s mansion at Podsosensky Lane

by Olga on May 15, 2011

On the 18th of May Moscow will celebrate the Day of historical and cultural heritage. A lot of museums will be open for free and many historical buildings and architectural monuments that are usually inaccessible will open their doors to the public.
Once on the 18th of May I had the pleasure to visit the Morosov’s mansion at 21 Podsosensky Lane. It was built by M.N.Chichagov and the interiors were remodelled by an outstanding Moscow architect F.Shekhtel in 1895-1900. Five panels on the subject of Goethe’s “Faust” were painted by M.A.Vrubel for its Gothic study. They included “Mephisto and the student”, “Margaret”, “Faust”, “The Flight of Faust and Mephisto”, and a lost fifth panel “Faust and Margaret in the Garden”. Currently the four panels from the study are shown at the State Tretyakov Gallery. For A.V.Morozov Vrubel also painted the panel “Philosophy”.

Morosov’s mansion at 21 Podsosensky Lane

Read more

{ 2 comments }

Actually, originally Moscow metro was named after Lazar Kaganovich. They renamed the metro for Lenin in 1955 and it still bears his name.

Forgotten things (Komsomolskaya Metro Station).

Metro Komsomolskaya, Lenin

Read more

{ 0 comments }

Unique newsreel “Moscow in 1908”

by Olga on March 12, 2011


Moscow Under Snow 1908 / metkere.com metkere

{ 0 comments }

Vintage Photographs of Moscow 1909

by Olga on March 4, 2011

Check this fantastic collection of Murray Howe’s photos!
All the photos are of great quality and full of life.
They are really stunning.
Many thanks to his great-grandson.

Photo Album Permalink: Vintage Photographs of Moscow 1909

{ 0 comments }

I would like to draw your attention to some details of the painting by P.Vereshchagin “View of the Moscow Kremlin” (1879):
1. Double-headed eagles on the top of two towers. Currently you would see there red stars.
2. The Imperial standard over the Palace.
3. The church next to the third tower from the left. The Annunciation church was built in 1731 and demolished in 1932-33.
4. The forth tower from the left is the Secret (Tainitskaya) tower. It is shown with a decorative side bastion, projected out from the line of the curtain wall. It imitated an old one of the XVII century, was attached to the tower in 1862 and dismantled during the renovation of 1930-1933.
5. Color of the Grand Kremlin Palace and the Armory Chamber facades is not the same as today.
6. The Kremlin wall was whitewashed.
7. In the wall of the embankment across the river you can notice a round arched hole. It is the place of confluence of two rivers, where the Neglinnaya river, entubed in 1820, joins the Moscow river.

P.P.Vereshchagin View of the Moscow Kremlin 1879

{ 0 comments }