I’ve got a question:
- Olga, can you tell me how to walk from the Metro station to the observation platform?
It’s my pleasure to answer:
1. I recommend to leave subway station “Universitet” by escalator, which is close to the last carriage if you come from the city center.
2. Outside look around. You will find at some distance a spire of the main MSU building. It will help you to orient yourself.
3. Cross the road and go to the left along Lomonosovsky prospect as if to the main building (you can see the spire).
4. Turn right at the first crossing. Very soon the main building will be on your left, go forward, pass the building and turn left.
5. Now you are at the opposite side of the main MSU building. Turn right and keep going in this direction up to the observation platform. If you pass the fountain (does not work in winter ), you are on the right way.
The church of the Intercession of the Virgin at Fili, a lithograph of the early 19th century.
The Church of the Intercession of the Virgin at Fili is located at Novozavodskaya Street. Fili metro station is a short walk, not more than 200m. The church was built between 1689 and 1693 by a boyar Naryshkin, the uncle of Peter the Great. Actually it consists of two churches, a winter one in the basement and a summer church above it, which was never heated. The new architectural style was formed at the end of the XVII century in Moscow. It is known as the Naryshkin Baroque and is also called Moscow Baroque style.
Independent travelers sometimes complain that it is difficult to find the entrance to the Kremlin museums. It’s quite easy.
The main entrance is through the Kutafya tower.
1. First of all, please, do not try to enter the Kremlin from Red square. It is useless and even unsafe if you insist.
2. Look at the map. There are two entrances for us (shown by red arrows), both are located on the side of Alexandrovsky gardens (Alexandrovsky Sad in Russian). The main one is through the Kutafya tower (1). To visit the Armoury chamber and the Diamond Fund go to the end of the Gardens along the Kremlin wall to the Borovitskaya Tower (2).
The Caravaggio exhibition at the Pushkin Fine Arts Museum runs until February 19, 2012.
If you want to escape long queueing and freezing come at 10am.
An exhibition dedicated to the 120th anniversary of one of the most famous Soviet architects Boris Iofan at the Schusev State Museum of Architecture, Vozdvizhenka St., 5 (M. Biblioteka imeni Lenina, Alexandrovsky sad, Arbatskaya) will be opened until February 26, 2012.
Boris Iofan is mainly known as an author of the “House on the Embankment” and the Soviet Pavilion with a sculpture of the “Worker and Collective Farm Girl” by V. Mukhina created for the World’s Fair of 1937. Although never realized, the ambitious Palace of Soviets, became the project of his life. For me, the initial project of Moscow State University and those interior designs for the Palace of Soviets halls looking like Pantheon or a Christian church proved to be particularly interesting.
,, Read more
One of Moscow’s most famous baths is known as Sanduny or Sandunovskie bani.
I was asked how to get to the catholic church of the Immaculate Conception in Moscow.
It is located on Malaya Gruzinskaya, 27.
I invite you to visit an estate and house, designed by the famous Russian painter Vasily Polenov for himself and his family and built on the bank of the Oka river 130 km south of Moscow in 1892. You will love well preserved artist’s collections, the views from the house windows and from surrounding hills.
I was asked how to get Park Museon if metro station Park cultury is closed?
It is easy to get there from M. Oktyabrskaya. Look at the map below.
540 meters (1,772 feet) tall Ostankino TV tower was completed in 1967. In those days it was the tallest free-standing structure in the world. You can estimate the view and perspective from the height of 337 meters on its observation deck and get great shots from up there.